Torrential Rainfall and Flooding Wreaks Havoc for MC Students

Leo parking garage flooded after torrential rain. ANGELINA PERSAUD/THE QUADRANGLE

By Maizy Swift, Asst. Production Editor & Angelina Persaud, News Editor

An extreme thunderstorm caused by the remnants of a tropical storm on the east coast caused Manhattan College to close down early on September 29 due to flooding on campus and dangerous traveling conditions. 

David Miko, a radiation therapy and technology major, expressed his experience commuting to campus. 

“I took my bus at 7 AM to get to the lab on time, however, I also needed to take the subway as an additional way of transportation in order to get to campus,” Miko said. “As I got to 42nd street, I got on the 1 train and we were already beginning to move slowly in between each stop up until 59th street. We came to a full stop and were staying still for about 10-15 minutes at 72nd street, until the MTA worker announced that there are current delays, so we should be patient and will be moving shortly.” 

It was after this that the subway completely shut down, leaving Miko with no way to get to campus in time for class.

“Once we got to 79th street, we paused again and were being told that most of the trains are delayed due to lack of electricity conduction on the rails as a result of flooding. I decided to stay on the train, but after waiting for another 10-15 minutes, I (and most other fellow passengers) just left. I already was frustrated because it was almost time for my lab to start and I was nowhere near the Bronx,” Miko said.

Miko ended up returning home after fearing he would be unable to get back.

“I live 1 hour and 15 minutes North of New York City, so I did not want to risk going to campus and being stuck there.” 

Miko, along with many other MC students felt frustrated with the way Manhattan handled the situation. 

“I wish the college had planned accordingly for the weather, there are commuters who commute from out of NYC, and I believe that they should definitely be more considerate of us and the rest of commuters from NYC.” 

Mia Porritt, a communication major, who is a resident on campus, had difficulty leaving campus and even had water leaking from the ceiling of her dorm in Horan Hall. 

“I was waiting, trying to find an Uber for 10 minutes and no one would get me,” Porritt said. “So I get on the train and we reach Tarrytow, and what happens is we are sitting on the train and they stop and they say, ‘The tracks are flooded near us, so we’re gonna have to wait until it dies down.’ We were sitting there for three hours.” 

After multiple delays and the train losing complete power, Porritt explained that she had to end up finding her way back to Yonkers in hopes of escaping the flooding. 

“We waited for a really long time and then another train from Metro North had to connect with us because our train lost power,” Porritt said. “So the other train had to connect to us and then pull us along. So then they said, ‘We’re going back to Penn Station. So you can either have a choice to get off at Yonkers or Penn Station.’ So we start going back to Yonkers after like three hours.” 

After her arrival back to campus, Porritt explained that the ceiling in her dorm began to leak. Despite placing a work order, there were limited options from Physical Plant to address the situation.

“She [Porritt’s roommate] called up and put in a work order for the service request and a guy came in and he literally just put tape over it. He was like there’s nothing else we can do and just plastic and tape over it,” Porritt said.

Matt Lewis, the director of Residence Life, advised that in emergency situations such as this, students should call public safety or speak to a public safety officer directly in their building. 

“I would say don’t submit a work order for that, you can go down to the public safety desk in the lobby of any of the buildings,” Lewis said. “If you live in Chrysostom or Jasper and don’t have public safety in the building then you can just call their non-emergency line and they will contact [Physical plant] staff to come and address the issue.”

Lewis also revealed that some students got temporary housing for the night when the storm occurred, and many overnight guests were welcomed to help give students who couldn’t travel home a place to stay.

“We want to make sure that people are safe and we want to make sure that everything is being taken care of,” Lewis said. “While we do have processes that guide these standard things, like there’s a 24 hour period you have to submit overnight guests before… but when the storm was going on, we kind of waived that policy because we knew that people didn’t anticipate that.”